Thursday, April 3, 2008

Written Word To Recreation


I've always wanted to make a wolf suit for my boys. One like Max wears in the book "Where The Wild Things Are" written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. I know they would wear it out just like their super man, ninja and spiderman costumes. Unfortunately my sewing skills are lacking. I can handle mending things but the extent of my sewing skills ended at an apron I made in 4-H when I was like 10. "Where The Wild Things Are," has always been a favorite book of mine and now my children seem to enjoy it as much as me. The main character, Max, has a playful personality that becomes apparent on the very first page. "Max...made mischief of one kind and another." As does any little boy, including my own two. he's so mischievous his mother sends him to bed without eating anything. His playful personality isn't the only portion of his character that appeals to me. His imagination is what really makes the meat of the book. It takes him and the reader on an outdoor adventure where he finds himself in a forest, sails a boat, discovers wild things, does magic tricks, dances under the moonlight, hangs from trees and becomes a king. Max eventually becomes lonely and hungry however, two things that a mother and a home can remedy easily. So he decides to give up being a wild thing and returns home. The loving part I see in the story is that his mom has his dinner waiting for him when he returns..."and it's still hot". The pictures are delightful. I have some of the prints hanging in my boys' room. While you read and look at the illustrations it's easy to produce your own sound effects and wild rumpus music.


I believe books like these help inspire children to create their own journey. It's a spring board for adventure. Plus it's something for parents and children to share.


Other books my children love and I'd recommend:

"Clap Your Hands" by Lorinda Bryan Cauley.
Keeps their little bodies moving!




Through Usborne Books "Farmyard Tales"







"The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR" written by Don and Audrey Wood.
By far Corbin's FAVORITE!





"Good Dog Carl" by Alexandra Day







"Blueberries For Sal" by Robert McCloskey







"Ferdinand The Bull" by Munro Leaf
My favorite as a kid.







As much as I'd hate to admit it, my boys love "Go Diego Go" books. They're not my favorite book's to read but they teach a lot about different animals and the outdoors. Plus Diego is the coolest kid I know. Seriously, how many little boys do you know get to explore the rain forest with no supervision and drive their own jeep?!



If you have a favorite children's book that encourages physical activity or outdoor play leave a comment! I'm always up for buying new books! (Becca I know you have a plethora of suggestions...I'm banking on you girl! So go to your book shelf and stretch out your typing fingers :))

2 comments:

Ker said...

Kids Go Wild, by Sarah Burke

Two kids take their clueless parents on an overnight backpakcing trip in the Canadian Rockies. The book is kind of long for a small child, but it has lots of great information on LNT, expedition behavior and enjoying the outdoors in a story format. The book is printed on recycled paper and some of the profit goes to environmental protection.
Available from Cafe Books

emr and hipaa said...

Curtis likes the book, "Were Going On a Bear Hunt". I will look at his other books and see if there any other good ones to recommend that promote physical activity. Another favorite is Llama Llama Red Pajama but that is just a fun kid book about going to bed.