Friday, March 7, 2008

Balance In All Things

Okay, so I re-read my last post and I totally sound like a tree hugger. I hope I didn't scare any of you off! I think I should clarify. "Tree Hugger" is not in the dictionary but I don't think the definition would fit me even if it were. I am however slightly granolaish. That's at least how my family describes me. I press flowers, eat soy beans, recycle plastic bags, conserve energy, practice yoga, climb rocks but most of all shave my pits and legs...during the summer at least. ;) I'm not an extreme environmentalist but cringe at the sight of litter and graffiti (unless it's artfully done with permission). Our family is like any other, and that's who I'm trying to reach out too in this blog...your average hot dog, marshmallow eating family. I'm not going to encourage you to take your small children on survival trips allowing them only to eat berries and nuts. My kids come home from hikes with pockets full of rocks and pinecones just like any other. So I think what I'm trying to say is I believe there is a balance in all things. Even in outdoor etiquette.





4 comments:

dev said...

you are so funny. a hot dog eating, granolaish,pit shaver... you crack me up.

balance in all things... hmm. i agree and REALLY need to work on that one... {like less time on the computer more time folding laundry...}

;)
speaking of too much time on the computer... I finished the recipe blog...

AMPM said...

Hey, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of being a psychotic greenie. Even if you were I would still like you. I just wouldn't tell you that I take home rocks and pinecones. I love this site. I swear to myself that I will be more outdoorsy this year........until it gets above seventy degrees;-)

Scott said...

Don't worry, I am totally granola... when it comes to not shaving my legs (mostly in the winter). Okay, so maybe that is the only thing granola about me, but I do try to only use one grocery sack per bag of groceries instead of a paper bag stuffed inside of a plastic one. (I'm still trying to figgure out why they do that here).

Also, I love this blog too. It totally motivates me and inspires me to get outside with my kid(s). I was telling Scott about it the other day. We are planning a camping trip to the Hill Camorah Pagent in July... about a month after the baby comes. Any suggestions? We will be in a campground with bathrooms and showers.

Becca said...

I love hot dogs and marshmallows, too. And I hate hate HATE litter in the outdoors . . . you can't be a real outdoors enthusiast and leave your trash (cigarette butts included, and perhaps especially) on the ground